Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Day 4

30 miles

Pfeffier Big Sur-Kirk Creek campground

I woke up at 5:30am this morning. After yesterday, I wanted to avoid the heat as much as possible. I had some pretty significant climbing today and was feeling pretty miserable about it. Why did I want to do this again? My excitement and confidence is waning. Quickly.

Today was easier than expected, I must admit. I started off early enough in the day that I did the big climbs out of the heat. I rode with someone else for part of the day. Surprisingly, it was nice to have my ass kicked by the Big Sur mountains in the company of someone else. I've started listening to music as well. Frank Ocean, Florence and the Machine, The Lumineers, and my own Gyasi Ross have kept me company on the road. It definitely helps. 
Ben-my riding buddy for part of the day

I stopped in Lucia for a rest and because it was pretty much the only place to stop , every other cyclists on the road was there as well. We ate lunch together and shared stories. 

From Lucia, I was only going to go 5 more miles to Kirk Creek. Others were going to make the trek to Cambria-another 50 miles. Wow. I salute you. I figure this will be the last time I see these people- our paths crossing for just a moment. But on such a momentous adventure....

Views like this reminded me why I wanted to do this.
                                         



No comments:

Post a Comment