Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Day 5

65 miles
Kirk Creek to Morro Bay

Raccoons ate my food. I awoke to 8 or so of those God-forsaken creatures rummaging thru my food that they had somehow fished out of the raccoon box. The next grocery store wouldn't be until Cambria- another 40 or so miles away...sure there was Gorda but there was no guaranteeing it would be open so early in the morning on a weekday. I wanted to cry.

But I composed myself, and decided if the raccoons had indeed eaten all my food, I would apologetically wake up the three U.K boys I had met last night and ask them for food. They would understand. I hope.

Luckily, the raccoons left me 3 cliff bars. I ate two for breakfast and took one for the road. It would have to last me the next 40 miles.

Today had some of the steepest climbing of the trip. Definitely the steepest climbing of Big Sur. Gorda, as expected was shut down. But as I was getting ready to ride out from there, Dave, the cyclist I had met on my first day, rode up....with a tire held together with duct tape. Apparently, it had started to come apart the previous day. Geez.


One of the last Big Sur views. Nice, cool overcast day.
Together, we rode up and down the steep grades. He talked most of the time. After we had made the final descent we stopped for coffee and hot chocolate and continued on our way. We split up in Cambria. He had to go look for a new tire...I had to get to Morro Bay, further if I could but I at least had to get to Morro Bay

At the suggestion of a friend, I stopped at a smoked fish place in Cayucos and gorged on smoked fish tacos, potato chips and lemonade. Best decision of my life.

I made it to Morro Bay and my friend's mom agreed to pick me up and let me stay at her house for the night.  I took a much needed shower, washed my disgusting, sweat filled clothes and slept like a rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment