Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Pre Trip (Training, Gear, Route, ect...)

Training
Link to my second tour Portland to SF-http://elysebikes.wordpress.com/

 In the last 6 months I did a 15 mile ride that included a decent climb probably a dozen times, I did a 40 mile ride that included one moderate climb about 10 times. I did an 80 mile ride with 2 moderate climbs once, and I did Mt. Tam- a 50 mile ride that includes a climb to just under 3,000ft two times. I didn't do any rides with my gear, besides short 5 mile rides to get the load right and check the handling. I do recommend doing a longer bike ride with gear if you don't ride a lot normally, but since I do ride a lot and am pretty comfortable with tall climbs and crazy descents I didn't see the need for it.

Gear
 I opted for two back and two front panniers. All of the following fits into the panniers. Nothing is one top of the racks with the exception of the tent poles. Here is the breakdown: (after trip thoughts are noted in red)

  •  Clothing (includes what I'll ride in): one rain jacket, one down jacket, one pair thermal long underwear, one thermal long sleeve, one cotton long sleeve, one pair underwear, one swimsuit, one dress (the dress was the only thing I wore on the bike), 2 bike shorts (with different padding so it helped with chafing issues when I alternated between them), one pair hiking pants, one t-shirt, 2 pairs of socks, one pair of flip flops, one pair hiking sandals,  beanie, 2 bandannas, 2 pair gloves (bike and off bike fleece gloves) , reflective vest
  • Toiletries: baby wipes, face wash (never used, I just used baby wipes to wipe my face), toothbrush.toothpaste,floss, lip balm, menstrual cup, hand sanitizer, sunblock, 4 small packets of chamois cream, packable towel
  •  Camping gear: 2 person tent with fly and footprint, sleeping bag, and liner thermarest sleeping pad (self inflating), thermarest compressible pillow, soloist pot with mug and spork, one 8oz fuel canister, pocket rocket stove, lighter, camp soap, headlamp, first aid kit
  •    Misc: nylon rope, duct tape (wrapped around sharpie), multi tool, bungee, bike lock (ended up forgetting it but never locked my bike up anyways). zipties, front and rear bike light, patch kit 2 extra tubes, chain lube, journal/pen, Kindle, small solar charger (this thing was great. I was able to charge my phone in Big Sur. it was a cheapie one too)
  • Food: energy bars, mac and cheese, lentils, rice, dried fruit 
Total weight (bags and all gear):38 pounds


 Route

I will be using ACA maps that generally follow the 1 and 101 and various bike paths thru big cities. I also have Bicycling the Pacific Coast on my Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment